Starting your search for a new home takes some preparation in order to ensure you don't waste any time. Make sure that you are looking at home that will be a right fit for your family by asking yourself some (and your family) what you really want in a new home. Use the 27 questions and action items below as a checklist to prepare yourself and identify the best plan before you begin house hunting.
*For each question, rate your preferences from 0-3 (0 being unimportant and 3 being vital).
27 Questions To Define Your Dream Home
- Identify your neighborhood preferences
- Identify your school district preferences
- Should your home be near public transportation?
- Do you want your home to be close by to an airport?
- What nearby shopping is important to you?
- Should your home be close to an expressway?
- Do you want a home with great views?
- Are you in need of a single family home, a condo or a townhome?
- What's the maximum property age of the home you'd want to live in?
- How willing are you to renovate?
- What architectural style do your prefer?
- Would you like an open floor plan?
- Minimum number of bedrooms?
- Minimum number of bathrooms?
- Are you looking for an eat-in kitchen?
- Does the home need to include a formal dining room?
- Do you need to have a formal living room?
- Do you need a garage? If so, how many cars?
- What size outdoor space?
- What will you use your outdoor space for?
- Does the home need to have a laundry room?
- Wood floors or carpeting in main rooms?
- Wood floors or carpeting in bedrooms?
- Preferred heating/cooling system types?
- Does the home need a fireplace?
- Would you like a home that has a pool? Above or in-ground?
- Are there any other special needs or preferences?
*Take a picture of this image on your phone and take it with you while house hunting! Use it to remember what's important to you and narrow down your search. *